Saturday, February 08, 2020

the money came rolling in, i spent it immediately, cocaine, girls and fast cars, i didn't care, you only live once right? 
my dealers fell in love with one another, it was a strange match but cars and cocaine made an unlikely successful marriage. they seemed happy and grateful, after all it was me that brought them together. ultimately i was not spending enough, three homes, four cars, a big bag of coke a day, the girls had their expensive needs to which somehow i was deemed responsible for but my accountants deemed it necessary to buy more. they insisted if i didn't i would lose half the money in taxes, so i did, i spent the cash in the most random ways possible, buying up small french villages, supermarket chains, winery's, funding scientific research and each ad every one just seemed to earn me more cash, i had the midas touch.
anyways life was a party and it rotated around me until it all blurred into a dali type nightmare sequence and my head quite literally imploded. 
they said i had had a breakdown, i just found myself in a wheelchair, high up looking out an elaborate victorian window down onto a perfectly manicured lawn and a beautiful pond where a pair of swans seemed to drift in perfect synchronization.
i stared out of that window for hours, each day looking down at the figures that wandered around, people, but always coming back to the pond. somedays it would rain leaving a thick foggy layer carpeting the lake and lawns and the swans would appear from the mist like strange regal beasts materializing out from smoke, they would drift around and then disappear again. 
i was told i had been in there for quite a few months, the nurse came to wheel me to my room. every day she took my temperature, measured my heart rate, made me walk a little and then she would undress me, guide me to the shower where i would be cleaned by her and then redressed in clean gowns and wheeled back to my window. perhaps at intervals i was fed and given medication, i can't recall everything, it gets foggy in my mind as well.
i hardly spoke, i didn't read anything although there was always a bundle of magazines each day for me, i didn't really speak or listen even when the men in suits who said they knew me came to talk business with me, they reassured me everything was okay, they made me sign a few cheques and then in the uncomfortable silence would make an excuse and leave but not before promising to call in again.
i don't know what was going on in my head, i just felt as though i had no will to do anything at all except look at the swans.
one day i noticed across from my window was another, and there in the shadows i saw a figure in a wheelchair, she was staring down at the swans as well, but she also had seen me and waved her hand. for the first time i felt some kind of curiosity, a spark of synaptic intrigue. given the proximity, i could wheel myself over to her window, it would mean i would have to leave the area i am familiar with and travel along the west and then southern wing. i felt like i had the strength, i certainly had enough time. for the next week i researched the frequency of my counterpoint, it seemed she looked out at the window from about 10am until 7pm, and at noon someone wheeled her away for an hour, possibly for lunch, same as i.
i set of on a sunday morning, after breakfast, i took myself down to the end of the corridor, a few nurses walked past me, but they were indifferent, an orderly smiled and a cleaner pushed her trolly out of the way, that was the extent of interaction with people. 
i positioned the chair at right angles to her room door, 22 and smiled as i had room 11. there seemed a strange synchronicity which i trusted.
i reached forward and knocked on the door only to find it was open, silently swinging away from me in the slowest of movements revealing an elegant looking woman who close-up looks even more attractive and exquisite than at a distance.
we looked at one another in silence and smiled.
i wheeled myself inside and closed the door behind me, making certain it was locked.
'what would you do for love?' i asked.
'anything,' she replies. 
my past was obliterated as she held my gaze with her magnificent eyes.     

No comments: