Saturday, December 19, 2015

terrible beach in summer filled with tourists, coffee shops over spilling, parking spaces unavailable unless your a revered local like good old captain mission who knows all the secret spots, who knows all the waitresses, who knows all the waves. the water is ice cold, refreshing against the early morning heat. i splash around, i catch two magnificent waves, i fall out of the ocean back to land. spat out in a great arc, somehow landing upon my feet.
my coffee tastes metallic, the paper is filled with nothingness, the airs smells salty makes my joints ache. i ponder if i am not whom i should be. 
somehow i am no longer human.
perhaps i am an android of captain mission. i look at my body. stretching out limbs and moving my eyes around. i can zoom in on things afar, i can focus my hearing to pick up conversations and if i concentrate i can tap into the internet with some sort of wifi inside my head.
i run up the steps of the crown plaza and make my way to the elegant restrooms where i look at the mirror. deep inside i appear human, my face is the same. i run my hands over my skin, and over my face. then in a strange sliding motion i detach my face, it just slides off. a non reflective bank of black and blue lights embedded in some kind of solid state circuitry. 
the realisation is not so much a shock or surprise but a steady acknowledgement. i am here as a replacement, i must p[ass myself off as an authentic human, as captain mission. i must convince the ocean i am he. if i can convince the ocean then i am free to be captain mission.
but why am i here, i ponder the curious nature of my existence. i must have been created by the real captain. i commit to the endeavour of discovery but first the ocean awaits... 

No comments: